Pro training tips
Winner of the Cadel Evans UCI World Tour Sprint Jersey in January this year, the Grafton to Inverell, two-time Melbourne to Warrnambool and member of the Bike Force Docklands family, Nathan Elliott, knows a thing or two about training for long rides. Here are his tips to prepare you for your next event.
- Find a bunch. Many bike stores and cycling clubs offer regular training rides - it's a great way to practice bunch riding and more fun than riding on your own. We host a ride from our store every Sunday at 8am.
- Build fitness. Ride at least three times per week and gradually increase the length and duration of your rides. Consistency is key.
- Know the course so you're prepared for any climbs or challenges before the big day.
- Get a bike fit to address discomfort and improve efficiency.
- Remember to eat and drink. Have a big breakfast and eat every 30-60 minutes to maintain your energy levels.